The holiday season is finally here and I LOVE getting together with my family for all the tasty meals. I don’t know about you all, but I’m so excited for that turkey to come out of that oven that I can’t wait 5 more minutes without grabbing a taste of something. This is the perfect salad for a holiday appetizer OR even for a summer cookout!
After many different combinations, I finally found the perfect blend of harvest grain. In case you don’t know much about quinoa, it is super good for you! Compared to rice, it has fewer calories, WAYYY fewer carbs, and DOUBLE the protein! Oh, & adding the flaxseed will help make you feel full and helps with weight loss. Flaxseed is a good source of Omega-3 fatty acids AKA “the good fats” which also help with hair growth for those wondering. So to get to the point, it’s healthy and it’s yummy. Best of both worlds, right?
- 2 cups quinoa
- 5 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 English cucumber
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1 packet Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Prepare quinoa as directed on the package
- While cooking the quinoa, cut the red onion and red pepper into small pieces.
- Cut the cucumber in half and hollow out the seeds before cutting. This will help to not make the salad too watery.
- Add quinoa, flaxseed, red onion, red pepper, cucumber, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to a bowl and mix well.
- Add dressing to the whole bowl if serving at one time. The full amount of dressing will make it SUPER moist. Add and stir and base how much you add off of your liking. If not serving all at one time, I recommend only adding a couple tablespoons per serving.
Mix water, vinegar, and the packet of Italian dressing and mix well. Add oil and mix until well blended.
You can shop http://www.amazon.com/shop/sara.j.baker to find the key ingredients to this recipe: quinoa and flaxseed.